Saturday, January 19, 2013

How do you eat that??!!

So, this year I decided that not only would 'I' be more healthy, I was going to get my family more healthy too. I suppose you could say it was a bit of aNew Year's resolution. But it felt like more than that. It is a decision that I've made and a commitment that Ive promised to myself and my family.

A couple weeks ago, Groupon had a great deal for fresh produce deliveries once a week. I decided to take advantage of the deal. Every Friday morning there is a box of assorted organic fruits and vegetables on my porch. It's awesome because once you establish your account you can log in and exclude certain items that you DO NOT want. There wasnt much I excluded, because the whole point of getting some of these items was to learn how to eat them.

This may sound weird to some people but Ive never been a big fan of cauliflower. When I opened my first box there was a wonderful bounty of all sorts of things...and there it was this HUGE head of cauliflower. Oh geez...I wanted to like this. And because of my distaste for certain veggies I'd never introduced them to my kids either. Here we go! I opened up a crock pot recipe book and found a great recipe for cauliflower soup!

Cauliflower Soup

2 heads cauliflower ,cut into small florets
8 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 cups milk or light cream (I used 1% milk-and it turned out great)
1 tsp Worcestshire sauce

Combine everything EXCEPT the milk & worcestshire sauce and cook in crock pot on low 7-8hrs or high for 3-4 hours.
Using a hand mixer or hand blender, puree the soup. (I accomplished this by using my magic bullet one cup at a time). Mix in the milk and Worcestshire sauce and blend until smooth. Cook on High for 15 mins longer before serving.

This soup turned out great! It was really creamy and the kids ate it!! Shh! Dont tell them it was pratically ALL vegetables!! LOL And it was so smooth and delicious I took leftovers to work and heated it up in a coffee mug. I was able to drink it like a broth.

For those of us using Weight Watchers points, I already did the calculations! If you make this soup with 1% milk, its less than 1 point per 1 cup serving!! YAY!! :o)

This was an awesome way to introduce my family to cauliflower, and now I'm looking for more recipes!

Now Bring on the....LEEKS?? Oh geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment