Sunday, January 20, 2013

Leeks? WTF?


Week two’s box of fresh produce arrives and most of box one is gone. Except for the Leeks. It’s like Christmas every Friday when I get my box, so I was excited to open and see what surprises might be inside. Ugh. More LEEKS!!  It was like opening a package of underwear on Christmas, when you were expecting a new Barbie. So sure, they weren’t the ONLY thing in the box, there was an awesome Butternut squash, apples and lots of citrus fruits. Okay…I am totally against wasting perfectly good food. So, I popped onto allrecipes.com and found a recipe for Creamy Potato and Leek Soup.

CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK SOUP

Ingredients
6 potatoes,peeled and cubed
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
2 leeks, chopped (I sliced mine)
2 teaspoons margarine
1 ½ cups half and half

Directions

1.     In a medium pot over medium heat, combine the potatoes and broth and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

2.     In a separate skillet over medium heat, saute the leeks in the butter or margarine for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the leeks and the cream to the potatoes and stir well. You can thicken the soup by using a potatoe masher, but it was really quite good with the chunks of potatoes in it! J

I know this is going to come as a HUGE surprise, but I hate onions. I’ve hated them with a passion my whole life. The only way I’ve ever been able to eat an onion is when it is disguised as an onion ring on a Carl’s Jr Western Bacon Cheeseburger. As I’ve been trying to do a lot healthier cooking at home, I’m finding onions are in just about everything. I’ve learned how to live with them and yes even eat them. (This makes my husband very happy).  I can’t say that IM a huge fan these days, but I’ve realized that they add great flavor to my cooking. The reason I say this is because the leaks reminded me of onions. Giant green onions, lol. Anyways, it was a little scary, but I have learned how well onions cook down, so I had faith and was quite surprised at how well they tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment