Saturday, February 16, 2013

Snow White and the Seven Beets

So...its very amazing how things happen sometimes. We had a birthday party for my two little boys a couple weeks ago. We had family come from all over the state and I had a great visit with my sister-in-law Jaime. I was telling her about all my veggies...and she asked me if I had gotten any beets yet? Huh? Beets? Um no. I was trying to remember if I had excluded them from my delivery options and then low and behold....beets arrived. I remember Jaime telling me about a couple ways she had prepared them and that they were really good. I had to get the recipes from her today!! LOL

Here is what we did;

I took the three biggest beets and drizzled them with olive oil and then then lightly salted and peppered them. I wrapped them in foil and put the on the grill next to the meat we were BBQ'ing.
(We are having some really nice weather here right now.) Jaime said to cook them like a potato and wait until I could easily insert a fork into them.They were on the grill for about 20-30 minutes.

Unwrapped....I could slice the beat with the side of my fork. I had to add a little more salt, but really it was kinda good. Jaime said if I could get the boys to eat enough, their pee would turn purple. I thought they might get a kick out of that, but they werent impressed enough with the prospect of purple urine to finish their beets.Oh well, I personnally will just have to wait and see. lol

The other 4 beets I chopped into small cubes, I sauteed them on the stove with some Olive oil, salt and pepper. Jaime had suggested some onions here...I didnt use onions I added some fresh pressed garlic. In hindsight I think the onions would have given them a little more flavor, but they turned out really well too.  I think of the two ways I prepared them, I prefered the method on the grill. They were much softer and flavorful.


If I get more beets next week, Im going to try pickling them. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment